Getting yourself the best whole house water filter is a must because clean water is undoubtedly fundamental to our lives. From drinking, bathing, cooking, doing the laundry, the need for water is unlimited. However, using water in its raw, untreated state may cause serious health challenges. A whole house water filter system is a device that filters water before it enters into the house water systems like showers, kitchen sinks, etc.
Most importantly, the primary duty of whole house water filters is to remove certain impurities, chemicals, dust, sediments, or any harmful substance to the health. Whole House Water filters make water clean, odorless while enhancing its quality.
In this article, you’ll learn details to look out for in a water filter. Also, installation and maintenance tips for a whole house water filter. Including a FAQ to keep you informed about water filters. We’ve also reviewed the best whole house water filter to save you the bother of scrolling through the ever-increasing list of whole house water filters out there.
Recommendations are independently chosen by our editors. We are participants in the Amazon associates’ program and purchases you make through our links may earn us a commission.
Overall best: Home Master HMF3SDGFEC
Best Indoor house filter: DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House Water Filtration System
3 Stage Home Water Filtration System: Express Water Whole House Water Filter
Best For City Water: iSpring WGB32B
Best Carbon Water Filter: APEC Water Systems ROES-PH75 Essence Series Water Filter System
Heavy Duty Whole House Filter: Culligan WH-HD200-C
Best For Taste water: 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick-Change Water Filter System AP903
Whole Home Filter Hybrid: Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series
The best whole house water filter to buy online. Review of the 8 best
There are several whole house filters in the market. Some of these products are merely a waste of investment because they don’t perform their functions well. However, knowing the efforts and time involved in finding the right whole house filter. We’ve outlined the best whole house filter that you should buy.
1. Home Master HMF3SDGFEC
Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is a three-stage water filter that removes fine sediment, Iron, carbon, dirt, chemicals like Sulphur, Iron, manganese, pesticides, and herbicides. It offers a high flow rate of up to 15 gallons for an extended period, so you don’t have to worry about reduced flow.
Most importantly, the main goal of this product is to produce clean, clear water for every piece of water equipment in your house at standard pressure. The first stage filters bacterial, chemicals, and dirt. The second stage reduces the flow of Iron, Manganese, Sulphur, and the possibility of pipe and water heater damage. The third stage removes chlorine, chemicals, taste, and odor. Click here to check out the availability of this product at Amazon.
Features & Pros
1. Suitable for well water.
2. Its oversize filters enhance flow rate while decreasing maintenance frequency.
3. Great saver of time and money.
4. Its three-stage filtering offers clean water throughout the house.
5. The manufacturer gives two years warranty.
6. Installation is made easy with the installation guide provided.
7. ts huge housing has 1-inch ports that provide the highest water pressure (up to 15 gallons per minute).
8. The multi-gradient density replaceable sediment offers smooth filtration (down to 1 micron) and high dirt holding ability.
9. Offers the first-rate purification eliminates up to 95% of chemicals like iron, manganese, sediments, and other impurities up to 3 PPM combined load
1. Not suitable for city water
2. It is not suitable for iron bacteria, acidic water more significant than seven pH levels, or chlorinated water
3. A water test may be required before purchasing the product.
2. DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House Water Filtration System
DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House Water Filtration System is another top whole house filter that filters up to 15 gallons of water. This whole house filter technology cleans water by eliminating sediments like silt and dust particles that shorten the lifespan of appliances that use or process water. In conclusion, this product can be gotten from Amazon. Click here to check it out.
Features & Pros
1. Its universal 500 Series Poly Block Cartridge makes it easily accessible.
2. Its standard System has 3/4 in. inlets and outlets.
3. Suitable for home and office.
4. Improves the lifespan of appliances that use or process water by decreasing sediments.
5. It improves the quality and taste of bath or tap water.
6. The manufacturer offers three years limited warranty.
7. It filters water at a great price.
• It can only be used indoors
3. Express Water Whole House Water Filter – 3 Stage Home Water Filtration System
Express Water Whole House Water Filter – 3 Stage Home Water Filtration System is another quality whole house water filter. It consists of a 3-stage filtration system that removes impurities like chlorine, rust, dirt, odor, sand, volatile organic chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides.
The first stage filters sediments. Additionally, the second stage is a granular activated carbon filter that catches chemical contaminants. The third stage is made of carbon block that is responsible for producing drinkable and odorless water. This product is easy to use and highly efficient.
Features & Pros
1. Firstly, it filters a large capacity of up to 100 000 Gallons.
2. The setup is easy, with standard 1inch connections.
3. The water filter cartridges can be easily and quickly replaced.
4. Its stainless-steel standing frame supports installation on the ground or mounted installation for extended durability and quality.
5. Similarly, it has a pressure gauge that enables customers to see the state of their system.
6. The manufacturer provides customer support and a year warranty.
1. Principal purpose is to treat incoming water.
2. It must be installed at the main water supply.
3. Will not reduce dissolved solids.
4. iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
Firstly, iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System fits the market’s best whole house water filtration list. The filter protects water appliances from damage by removing up to 95% of sediments like sand, large particles, rust, herbicides, pesticides, industrial solvents, VOCs, and other impurities.
It removes up to 99% chlorine, taste, odor and is thus suitable for city water. It is available on popular retailers.
Features & Pros
1. It is suitable for city water.
2. The manufacturer provides a manual and some helpful videos for easy DIY installation.
3. It protects all home water appliances.
4. The product has a 1″ NPT inlet/outlet and 20″ x 4.5″ filter cartridges that allow water flow up to 15 gallons per minute.
5. Produced with top-quality equipment and tested by an independent organization to meet NSF/ANSI standards.
6. The manufacturer requires customers to sign up for lifetime support and an extended warranty.
7. Cost less when compared to other whole house water filters.
8. Replacement filters are less expensive.
1. This product will not decrease Total Dissolved Solids (TDS).
2. Water test may be required before installation of the product
3. Gaskets may be purchased to seal off leaks
5. APEC Water Systems ROES-PH75 Essence Series Water Filter System
Buy on Amazon
APEC Water Systems ROES-PH75 Essence Series Water Filter System is one unique whole house water filter system from America’s No one trusted water filter brand with 20 years of success for providing noise-free, trouble-free, long-lasting, pure drinking water.
Furthermore, this product effectively removes contaminants like arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, fluoride, copper, lead. This product is designed, engineered, and assembled in the USA under industrial standards.
APEC Water Systems ROES-PH75 Essence Series Water Filter System has a 75 GPD 6-stage ROES-PH75 established is to remove up to 99% of impurities. For instance, chlorine, taste, odor, VOCs, including toxic fluoride, lead, arsenic, nitrates, heavy metals, etc. It dissolves solids up to 2000 ppm. Its feed Water Pressure ranges from 40-85 psi.
Features & Pros
1. Step by step detailed manual and online installation video makes installation and maintenance easy.
2. The double high-efficient carbon blocks ensure the highest chlorine and chemical removal level.
3. This product purifies water, eliminating any odor or taste.
4. Its calcium mineral cartridge adds 100% safe calcium carbonate to the water to increase the pH level for people who enjoy alkaline water
5. The manufacturers offer two years extended warranty with registration
• Not suitable for people who hate alkaline water.
• The timeline for replacing filters is based on gallons used.
6. Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Heavy Duty 1″ Inlet/Outlet Filtration System
Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Heavy Duty 1″ Inlet/Outlet Filtration System is another good whole house water filtration that cleans water, making it safe, and fresh throughout the house.
In other words, this filtration system removes dirt, sand, silt build-up. It also extends the lifespan of water appliances. It has a 1” inlet/outlet for improved water flow.
Features & Pros
- Its 1” stainless steel reinforced inlet/outlet connectors ensure smooth and fast water flow
- Also protects water appliances against sediments and scales
- Its bypass shut off value, integrated bracket design, and battery-operated filter makes it function better
- Removes sediments, rust, dirt, all kinds of sand, taste, odor, and some chemicals like chlorine
- This product has been tested and endorsed by WQA against NSF/ANSI 372 for lead compliance, and NSF/ANSI 42 for structural integrity and material safety
- It is compatible with several Culligan filter cartridges like CW25-BBS, CWS-BBS, RFC-BBSA, R50-BBSA.
- It requires a battery to operate
- It may require the assistance of a plumber for installation
- Leaking may occur if not correctly installed or if the filter housing is not tight.
Click here to buy it on Amazon
7. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick-Change Water Filter System AP903
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick-Change Water Filter System AP903 is among the best whole house water filters. It is the perfect solution to tackle taste while protecting appliances and pipes. The product is produced with the Sanitary Quick Change (SQC) whole house system technology. As a result of using this filter, it removes sediments, chemicals like chlorine, taste, and odor. It enhances the quality of water and delivers clean and clear water throughout the household.
This product operates at the point of entry (POE), so it needs to be installed close to the water source (water pump or well pump). 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick-Change Water Filter System AP903 whole house filter system is designed to be quickly and easily replaceable. This product is tested and certified by the manufacturer’s laboratory scientists.
Features & Pros
•1. Its Sanitary Quick Change (SQC) technology makes replacing the water filter cartridge easily and quickly
2. The water filter has a 100 000 gallons capacity (up to a year)
3. Its 1″ inlet and outlet connections make installation easy while supplying water at 20 gallons per minute for improved flow.
4. This product removes sediments, taste, odor, and chemicals like chlorine
5. It has a high corrosive resistance due to the 304 stainless steel head that can be installed on copper pipes
6. This product is certified (NSF STANDARD 42 CERTIFIED) by one of the top independent certification organizations that helps regulate the food, water, and the environment
7. It is suitable for both chlorinated (municipal) and non-chlorinated (well water) systems
8. Helps prolong the lifespan of appliances that utilize water
• A plumber may be hired for installation purposes.
• The water filter lasts for about 100 000 gallons of use and may reduce the water pressure.
8. Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series – Softener/Whole Home Filter Hybrid
Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series – Softener/Whole Home Filter Hybrid is a good whole house filter that deals with water hardness while removing impurities like sediments and chlorine. It protects appliances like dishwashers or washing machines that process or utilize water.
Furthermore, the system filter doesn’t require replacement as it cleans itself every two weeks. Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series – Softener/Whole Home Filter Hybrid has an automated demand-initiated regeneration system that regenerates saltwater only when needed to monitor water usage and the environment. The product also has an inbuilt feature that alerts customers when the salt level is too low.
In conclusion, it comes with a detailed installation kit that provides instructions on how to install the system. Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series – Softener/Whole Home Filter Hybrid is licensed by the National Sanitation Federation (NSF) and thus safe for the public.
Features & Pros
•1. Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series – Softener/Whole Home Filter Hybrid removes sediment, chlorine taste, odor, hard water minerals, and dangerous impurities
2. Its demand-initiated regeneration technology utilizes salt to provide soft water as needed
3. Whirlpool WHESFC cleans its filter, so there is no need to replace filters
4. This product is engineered and assembled in the USA
5. The manufacturer provides a detailed installation manual
6. It also protects appliances that use or process water
7. Cleaning is much easier by pouring a bottle of WSC water softener cleanser
Buyer’s Guide: What to Look for in a Water Filter? – How to choose a good water filter for the home
Choosing the perfect water filter may be difficult, as there are several types in the market. Getting the right water filter will work magic and keep your water appliances safe. It will also save you time and money. However, there are certain factors that you need to consider before buying any water filter.
Before buying any water filter, you need to figure out why you plan to use one. Some water filters will handle basic sediments. Others will tackle heavy chemicals like Iron or chlorine. If you simply want to clean water, water softeners are good options. However, you have to test your water source before deciding on getting one. If the taste of your water is just the problem, a simple cartridge will do the trick!
You need to know the consumption rate of water in your household. If you have a large household, get a quality filter that will last long.
There is no bad or right water flow because it all depends on the consumption rate of your household. Water flow is typically calculated in gallons per minute. Additionally, water flow is also known as the total amount of water consumed. If you have a large household, go for water filters with a high flow rate. Conversely, go for smaller filters if it’s just you. The water flow rate ranges from 15 to 40 gallons per minute.
Size and lifespan of the filter
This is an important factor to consider because some filters last for a short period and have different filter sizes. The popular size is 4.5 inches by 20 inches. For the lifespan, go for a filter that lasts for a very long time. Several machines fall within the 100, 000, 150, 000, or 1 000 000 gallon range. So, go for what fits your condition.
Cartridges are tools liable for removing impurities in a water filter system. It affects the function and lifespan of a machine. Regions with greater impurities require filter cartridges with advanced technology to perform well.
Check for Certification
Checking for certification is very important before purchasing any water filter. Several reputable organizations like National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) and the Water Quality Association (WAQ) are recommended.
The American National Standard Institute constitutes NSF, and they perform rigorous testing on the product before issuing the certification. The WAQ comprised respectable professionals based in the USA that tests several water filters. Seeing the seal of approval from these organizations implies that the product is of high quality.
Many manufacturers add accessories or kits to their products. These kits save you time and money while installing the water filter system.
You need to consider your budget when buying water filter systems, not excluding maintenance or plumbing service (you may require the services of a plumber) costs. Go for a product that falls within your budget.
Warranty & usage policy
Different manufacturers offer different warranty periods, so it’s best to go for a product with a longer warranty period. Look out for their terms and conditions; you will never know if you don’t check.
The Whole-House vs. Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration Systems – what you need to know?
Whole house water filtration systems are installed at the entry point to treat the water entering the household. It supplies water to your household appliances while protecting them. Secondly, a good whole house filtration system does its job without reducing the flow rate of water.
A reverse osmosis water filtration system filters water, reducing a large number of contaminants, especially chemicals.
Whole house water treats the water flowing into the house. In contrast, reverse osmosis water filtration typically treats cooking and drinking water. Lastly, a whole house water filtration system operates faster while the other operates slowly.
Which Type of House Water Filter is suitable for you?
Knowing the type of house water filter suitable will help you make the right choice.
a) Carbon Water
This type of filter is good in dealing with organic waste, chlorine, or high levels of minerals. It costs less and requires low maintenance.
b) Reverse Osmosis
This type of filter is good for toxic wastes, salt, copper, fluoride, arsenic. It filters hazardous bacteria but is unsuitable for drinking since it involves stripping off minerals.
c) Aeration Filter
This is a type of water filter suitable for well water. It works by neutralizing toxins that affect the taste and smell of water. Radon, carbon dioxide, iron, and manganese are some examples.
d) Ion Exchange
This involves the discard of dissolved ions contained in the water. These ions are replaced with other ions with similar electrical charges. More so, this method costs less, is regenerable, and efficiently removes chemicals like fluoride, sulfate, calcium, and magnesium.
e) Ultraviolet Disinfection
This method displaces viruses and bacteria. It utilizes UV light and is safe in the environment. However, some companies combine it with another water filter type to dispose of impurities, including chlorine and pesticides. It kills up to 99.9% of bacteria while economical.
Installation and Maintenance tips for a Whole House Water Filter Systems
First and foremost, installing and maintaining a whole house water filter system may be difficult for starters. However, the level of difficulty depends on the nature of the water filter system. However, you don’t have to be an expert plumber to fix one, though some water filters may require. Certainly, many manufacturers help the process by providing manuals and videos. Here are some tips for installing whole house water filters systems:
1. Go to the water source and turn it off
2. Drain the water (wipe every trace of any water)
3. Decide where to fix the water filter
4. Cut the pipe using a pipe cutter
5. Assemble the fittings
6. Install the fittings and compression nuts
7. Ensure you place the water filter the right way
8. Switch on the water
Some maintenance tips are:
- Replace the water filter as needed
- Always tighten it up
- Clean it as often as you can
Commonly Asked Questions
We’ve added some FAQs that will be helpful:
• Is a Whole-House Water Filters Worth It?
A good whole house water filter will impact the taste, color, cleanliness of your water. The advantages include enhanced skin condition, amazing bathing experience, the longevity of water appliances. The list goes on to prove whole house water filters are worth it!
• Can I Drink the Water Filtered with a Whole House Filtration System?
Many whole-house filtrates only remove sediments, and impurities, leaving some trace of some chemicals. It’s best to take your water to a certified lab and have it tested.
• Do I Need a Whole-House Water Filter?
The answer to this question depends on your residence and source of water. If you are using city or well water, you’ll need one to protect you against harmful contaminants and sediments. Tap water in some parts of the world is already processed and safe. It’s recommended you get your water tested and then go from there.
Before buying any water filter, it’s important to remember that health is wealth, and water is essential. The whole house water filters may be expensive but are worth the investment in the long run. Furthermore, it ensures that you get clean water free from impurities while protecting your water appliances. The factors outlined are instrumental in getting the right water filter. Some manufacturers offer lifetime support, so it’s best to reach out to them if you run into trouble. In summary, we hope you found this article helpful and you will base on it to get a whole house water filter system suitable for your house!.
Last update on 2021-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API