Once in a while, you will come across a question asking for the best materials for cutting boards. In several activities, cutting boards can be used, including at home and in restaurants (in the kitchen for food preparation) and in other commercial activities. Here, my main emphasis will be on the best materials for cutting boards intended for kitchen purposes. There is a great deal that goes into choosing a quality material for cutting boards.
With several different types of cutting board materials that you can purchase, there is much that you would need to put into choosing a quality cutting board to meet your food preparation needs while being friendly to the knives in your kitchen. But don’t worry, in this article, I will explore and discuss the different cutting board materials and look at the advantages and disadvantages of each. And yes, it is possible to get the most out of the cutting board you choose.
A look at the different cutting board materials – Which is The best
Is Bamboo one of the best cutting board materials?
Bamboo has long been considered one of the best cutting materials, which is why so many people choose them to cut vegetables, raw meat, etc. Chopping boards made out of bamboo aren’t as heavy as other boards that you may have. Bamboo is very lightweight, which makes bamboo chopping boards easier to handle while you’re preparing your foods and transport around your kitchen.
One of the most apparent advantages of using bamboo for your chopping needs is that it is a renewable resource that comes from nature. Bamboo is grown and harvested in large plantations and is cut down in a steady supply so that it doesn’t over-run and become too scarce. Hence, bamboo is the most ecofriendly material for cutting boards. Besides being very environmentally friendly, it is fashionable and also very durable.
Bamboo boards can come in a variety of different sizes, which is important if you’re using them for specific functions. A basic size board can enough for about six to ten pieces of meat at once, while larger boards can be used to cut sixteen to twenty pieces in a single sitting.
Bamboo chopping boards can come in a wide range of finishes, and colors, depending on what your tastes are and what you want to achieve. If you don’t want to sacrifice durability or the looks of your board, you can opt for a plain, untreated bamboo.
Some disadvantages of bamboo when used as a material for chopping boards
- Its hardness can harsh (tough) on your kitchen knives.
- Secondly, with time, the bamboo cutting board tends to develop board-length cracks and splits, which reduce its appeal. The cracks can harbor stains and bacteria (micro-organism), which could become sources of cross-contamination. The problem of board-length cracks and splits can be minimized by regular oiling of your chopping board.
A glass cutting board is one of the most popular choices for your kitchen cutting needs. It is not as hard as a stone, but still strong and resilient enough for many cutting tasks. Granite, for example, provides much stronger cutting surfaces. Glass cutting board, as its name suggests, use glass as their cutting material, so they are considered to be the safest option. Many glass cutting boards are made from toughened tempered glass, which is an extremely strong type of glass that is often welded together. Glass does have some advantages over other types of cutting boards materials.
- One advantage of glass boards is that they are easy to keep clean. They can be washed in a dishwasher or over the sink.
- Also, glass boards resist stains and odors. Since they are usually clear, you won’t have to worry about staining your kitchen countertop or sink either.
- Another advantage of glass material, which may not be so important, is that most glass cutting boards come with glass covers for the cutting surfaces, which can make them even more attractive and add a layer of elegance to your kitchen.
Disadvantages of glass as a material for cutting boards
Of course, there are certain risks and disadvantages associated with glass cutting board material.
- Glass boards are said to be the worst to your kitchen knives. Glass boards present a tough surface. Hence, if you are using glass cutting boards for cutting purposes in your kitchen, you will want to make sure that the knife blades are sharp and are made from steel or stainless steel.
- Another significant risk is that glass cutting boards tend to be very fragile and are more likely to shatter if they are dropped. So if you are working with this material, be sure to handle it with special care and keep very sharp object away from the glass surface.
Plastic cutting boards are a wonderful invention, and they provide many advantages that make them perfect for professional chefs and ordinary home cooks. The most obvious is that plastic cutting boards are easy to clean, even in a dishwasher. They also do not stain easily. Besides, plastic as a cutting board material is lightweight and cheap, so are the plastic cutting boards. You can even use them as a code system by printing your labels directly onto the cutting board or on a sticker. Red for raw meat; green for fruits and vegetables; purple for sweets; orange for spices; brown for dairy products; so on and so forth…the list goes on. It’s a handy way to label and store food, as well as making it easy to see exactly what you’re working with.
Cons of wood
But as with anything, there are drawbacks of choosing a plastic cutting board material.
- For one thing, plastic cutting boards are not as durable as boards made from other materials. They wear quickly, which may necessitate frequent replacements.
- They are porous, meaning odors and moisture could easily be caught up in the cutting board material, which can lead to food contamination and poisoning. And, if you’re careless, bacteria can grow under the surface of your plastic cutting board material and eventually contaminate your food. And since plastic is not naturally self-healing, nor does it have any antibacterial features, this can be a huge food safety concern.
- Third, if you love your knives, you ought to be careful when using it on a plastic cutting board material as plastic tends to be a little rougher on the knife blade.
With those disadvantages of plastic as a material for a cutting board, it is vital to make sure you get a board that’s made from the highest quality of plastic. This will ensure that the board is strong enough to support the weight and texture of the food you plan to prepare and withstand the knife.
If you’re looking for an economical alternative to a glass or plastic cutting board, then wooden boards would be your best bet. it is one of the best cutting board materials available.
- If you get a chopping board from the highest-quality hardwood such as acacia, teak, and maple, then you would have made the best choice. These woods are less porous than any other material. Therefore, they permit less water absorption and are less likely to allow bacteria to grow on them. Importantly, these wood cutting boards have unique self-healing and bacterial fighting properties, which help to reduce instances of food cross-contamination and food poisoning. Therefore, Wood cutting boards offer a safe and clean place for cutting meat, vegetables, fruits, etc.
- Wood is also a great choice of material for cutting boards because it is relatively easy to clean a wooden cutting board.
- Other benefits of wood material for the cutting board are its nonslip feature, ease of storage (compared to stainless steel cutting boards), and convenience by placing it on the counter, for example.
- Wood surfaces are also easy on your kitchen cutting utensils as the wood does not have sharp edges. You can effortlessly and safely use your knife to slice meat and vegetables with less worry of damaging (dulling) your knife blade.
Disadvantages of wood cutting board material
The advantages mentioned above could make wood one of the best cutting board materials. However, boards from this material are not without some disadvantages too.
- Woodcutting boards tend to get dirty easily as they are always exposed to moisture. Moreover, wood is also susceptible to scratches and other damages.
- Furthermore, even though wood is easy to clean, it is not suitable for cleaning purposes. It does not dry easily (compared to stainless steel and other cutting board materials). So, you have to maintain it very often.
- What’s more, if not dried quickly and thoroughly after washing, it could rot, become unsanitary and unhealthy. This harbors various types of bacteria that can be harmful to humans and the planet. You can also look at the other alternatives to wood cutting boards
Marble as cutting board material
Marble is also one of the best materials for cutting boards. Cutting boards made from marble are a great centerpiece of any kitchen work surface. They come in a variety of colors, designs, and shapes. They are strong and will not accumulate scratches from sharp knife edges. Marble cutting boards are a favorite with professionals who cut in restaurants and homes alike. When choosing marble cutting boards, you want one that is durable, easy to clean, and sanitize. Many marble cutting boards are dishwasher safe.
However, marble cutting boards can cost quite a bit more than other types of boards.
Silicone is a very popular material for food cutting boards. Its durability, low cost, moisture resistant, and its non-stick properties make it practical for most home cooks. It is non-porous, which means it not to leave a sticky residue on the foods prepared on it. Their non-porous and moisture resistant properties won’t allow bacteria to accumulate on its surface if carefully cleaned and maintained.
Silica is a natural substance found naturally on earth. It is an excellent source of silicon. The biggest disadvantage of silicone cutting board materials is that it is rather fragile. It will chip, peel, and break, meaning it is not a good option for high usage and high-pressure cleaning. This can be prone to damage to the board.
- Color-Coded Chopping Boards: 7 Colors To Prevent Food Cross-Contamination
- How To Dehydrate Vegetables & Fruits At Home Using a Dehydrator. [For Storage]
It is possible to get consumed in the search for the best cutting board material? There are many materials for making a cutting board for kitchen activities. Selecting the right one for you will help you prolong the life of your countertops as well as your knives. So consider what you’re looking for in a chopping board before making a purchase. Use the tips (advantages and disadvantages for each material) outlined above and then choose the right cutting board product. Choose a cutting board with a suitable material that meets your needs and expectations!. Also, do your research beforehand to make sure that the manufacturer offers a guarantee or warranty for the board. Later, if you’re dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return it. Hence you don’t end up buying a new one.